Wednesday 7 August 2013

Tullibardine Port Finish

Tullibardine Port Finish - 46% abv - non chill-filtered

Tullibardine is a Highland region distillery (not Speyside) that seems to very much favour aging whisky in ex-bourbon casks and leaving them that way or subsequently finishing them in some other wine cask.  I have experience with a couple Tullibardine products and have found that they seem to make easy-drinking, enjoyable products at a decent price.  This Port Finish product falls into that category.  

The Tullibardine Port Finish is aged in ex-bourbon casks for an indeterminate time (no age statement on the bottle) and then spends the last 12 months of its maturation in port pipes.  This product is also non chill-filltered and I must say that I like the fact that Tullibardine does not chill-filter its whiskies.
Click photo to enlarge

Colour:  light to mid gold.

Nose: the nose on this is actually soft and beautiful and really reminds of sweet wine or port.   I haven't had this for a while (usually drink this in the winter time) but I forgot how nice the nose is on this and it really makes me want to drink!  It smells well made.

Palate: sweet and lovely!  Definitely solid port influence in there.  Not really tawny port, but the darker more full/chocolatey port.  I get a bit of a Welches grape juice note in this... its not a bad thing either.  Grape-y and delicious.  Honestly, if you know someone who likes port and doesn't typically drink whisky, this may be the thing to serve them.  There is a touch of vanilla in the tail end of this one.  

Finish: mid-to-long finish... the time in port pipes seems to have brought the length in here.  Warming.

Comments: I honestly can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this one.  Its a nice, simple drink that tastes well-made.  Its very easy to drink and may be a great dram to bring a beginner or non-whisky drinker into our exciting world.  I like this and think I might have to go out and try to pick up a bottle of this to replace the one I'm almost through.  I would go for this any time a port might be sought or on a cooler summer night or warmer winter night... after dinner for sure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment