Saturday 24 August 2013

Bruichladdich The Organic Review (the right whisky at the right time)

Bruichladdich The Organic - 46% abv

Okay, I'll come right out and say it... you may have noticed that I have reviewed a number of Bruichladdich products lately.  The truth is that I am a big fan of Bruichladdich.  Its a Bruichladdich whisky that brought me into the world of scotch whisky (I'll always remember my amazement with the 12 Year Old 2nd Edition the first time it hit my lips and how voluptuous the texture was!) and they have a philosophy I truly appreciate.  They also have a lot of different expressions which is great for a curious explorer like myself.  Anyway, on to the whisky we're talking about today - The Organic.

One of the things I truly believe in is having the correct whisky for one's mood or for the weather or whatever.  This is why I have so many open bottles in my cabinet - I never know what whisky I am going to need so I like to have a pile of options of different things to pick from.  I don't have a "go-to" whisky but I have a number of different ones and I usually buy based on the profile of whisky that I am low on.  The Organic paints this picture nicely.

The Organic is a great dram to have on a Sunday afternoon, before dinner.  I find it actually tastes totally different to me if I have it late in the evening rather than before dinner.  No joke. Taken in the afternoon, it is the kind of dram that absolutely rejuvenates me - it brightens my day, my mood, and even wakes me up.  
Click photo to enlarge

Colour: Straw.

Nose: Creamy and floral... I almost get a touch of lilac.  Herbaceous with a mint note. Lovely and interesting. There is an icing sugar-covered pastry. 

Palate: Perfect for a Sunday afternoon!  Sweet and floral and creamy.  Beautiful. Does the creaminess come from the barley? It must. This restores us! Bright and light and a little salty. There is a nice, syrupy vanilla note in there that leads into a lemon-citrus layer. This is lighter tasting but has that viscosity that is so satisfying. 

Finish: shorter and herbaceous. 

This is a great dram for the summer and definitely great for before dinner or even for a picnic. After having had the Islay Barley drams, I kind of wish they bottled this at 50%. That being said, looking at Bruichladdich's new line of whiskies just released, it appears as though all of the core range will be bottled at 50% including the new Scottish Barley Organic.  Let the good times roll!    

No comments:

Post a Comment