Tuesday 3 September 2013

Tobermory Aged 15 Years Review

Tobermory 15 Year Old - 46.3% abv. - Un-chillfiltered

Remember how I said that the best payment you can give someone is a bottle of scotch? Well, its true.  Last month, I played the part of emcee at my brother-in-law's wedding to his lovely wife. Well, I guess I did a good job because the two of them decided to gift me this lovely bottle of scotch to thank me for my loyal service. My brother-in-law told me that they knew I had a lot of bottles of scotch at home and they wanted to get me something unique, something that I didn't already have. I'll be honest, they ended up getting me something that I never even heard of before I saw this bottle.  In fact, it seems that most people have never heard of Tobermory.  Well, if Tobermory keep making whiskies like this, I don't think that will last for too much longer.

Colour: Deep amber with copper highlights

Nose: I really get sultana raisins along with some really clean sherry notes and Christmas spices.  Some chocolate syrup on the nose too.

Palate: Starts a little sweet and works through some warming spices to a nice tang... this is coastal, after all!  Nice, clean sherry notes followed by some salt.  The sweetness really is a raisin flavour that leads into a chocolate note accompanied by some salt.  This takes middle road between rich and dry.  Altogether pleasant and nice body here!  This has a nice mouthfeel that develops into a gentle drying warmth.  

Finish: Finish is long and carries on the spices and warmth right into my belly.

This is a nice, sherried dram!  Easy to drink and has nice flavours.  Not desert on its own like some Glenfarclas drams are, but is a nice, relaxing night cap.  I think anyone would like this... one to have around if you need to impress a Father-in-law or your boss?  One thing that is cool about this is most people haven't heard from it and it is quite good so folks might get the idea you know what you are doing if you serve this.  Never a bad thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment