Thursday 26 September 2013

Bruichladdich Master Class Review - Barley to Bottle with Jim McEwan

Bruichladdich Master Class with Jim McEwan

Well, I just had the most incredible scotch experience of my life.  I have been waiting for this for a long time... Jim McEwan was in town at my local shop, Willow Park Wines and Spirits, and he did not disappoint!  The man's complete and utter passion for his craft is incredible to behold and absolutely intoxicating!  I was drunk - with passion.  In fact, I still am and am sitting down with a dram (Octomore 4.2 Comus) reliving the experience with you.

Every now and then, you have an experience that changes things for you.  When it comes to whisky, Bruichladdich brought me to Scotch whisky when I tasted it a few years ago and had to buy it immediately (had tasted others and they didn't capture me). That dram was the 12 Year Old 2nd Edition.  Tonight, I've had that type of experience again as I witnessed the pure heart that goes into Bruichladdich whisky.

By the way, before I go on, I chose the colour of font because I know Jim would love it even though its a bit hard to read.

If you ever get the chance to see Jim speak, do it!  Don't hesitate.  He is a gentleman, he is so funny, he is passionate, and he is pure.  You will have a great time!  Here's a lousy Blackberry photo from the night:

The line up for the night was as shown in the picture below:

Honestly, these drams are all top shelf.  The Laddie Classic oozes coastal character along with nice sweetness and vanilla.  The Islay Barley 2006 is so pure and beautiful (I already drank two bottles at home since it came out and can't get enough).  It really is special whisky with a lovely sweetness, with its floral notes, and with its creamy richness.  The Laddie 16 is so sophisticated and perfumed and really shows what Bruichladdich can be when aged.  I really can't wait to see and hope we get to see some of the beautiful drams distilled by Jim make it to bigger ages like 12, 16, 22, etc.  The Laddie 22, as reviewed previously, is such a classy dram.  Its really the one I think of for those occasions where you must have something special... incredible!  Really.  The Cuvee 640 was a unique and delicious and luxurious dram... you'll see in the shot below that I picked up the PX Cuvee 407 which is not shot at the 640 - trust me, the balance and rich luxury is really enjoyable. The Port Charlotte 10 Year old was really a top-shelf peated dram.  As previously reviewed, I have PC7 and love it and the Port Charlotte 10 may not have the "shock and awe" of that dram, but it is richly smoky and complex and I had to have it.  I wanted something for Jim to sign that he made from the beginning and this was a great choice.

With the bounty of the evening in hand, it was incredible all of the people who hung around after the event was long done to share in the excitement that Jim created.  I am still beaming at home right now.
Thank you to Jim and to Dave Michiels (@Davescotchguy) and to Willow Park for a truly memorable evening and here is to Bruichladdich! Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment