Sunday 6 October 2013

Double Review: Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition 01 Review and Bruichladdich The Laddie Sixteen Review

Bruichladdich Laddie Classic and The Laddie 16 Review

Even though I've reviewed a number of Bruichladdich products lately, I felt compelled to do a more detailed review of a couple of the bottles we tasted with Jim McEwan on September 26, 2013. Since nobody pays me or compensates me in any way, I can say and do whatever the heck I want so I am doing this review even though I've done a number of Bruichladdich products. I've never made it a secret - I do like Bruichladdich very much. I'll hit the Highlands or the Lowlands in my next review.

These are two products that fit within the "Classic Bruichladdich" branding and are still available in stores... the Laddie Classic is being replaced with the Scottish Barley Classic Laddie (I guess its Edition 02?). The Laddie Sixteen appears to be headed the way of the Do-do at least until there is sixteen year-old stock that was distilled under the Renaissance - so 4 years away? I am speculating on the fate of the 16 but available evidence points to what I've concluded here.

Here we go...

Bruichladdich The Laddie Classic Edition 01 - 46% abv. 

Colour: mid-gold

Nose: so coastal on the nose!  Coastal salt and freshness on the nose followed by a burst of vanilla pods (yes, vanilla comes from pods).  Rich vanilla with a little sweetness and lemon. Really oozes that pure bruichladdich bouquet complete with a hint of mint/menthol.

Palate: coastal salinity with a rich sweetness and bursting with vanilla.  There is a richness to this I didn't expect due to the coastal nose.  This is also quite fresh. I want to say that I get some pear and kiwi from this too. This is good for any time of day in my book and works as an "everyday" dram. This is definitely something that works for summer if you are looking for a summer dram. I like water in this one and you'll find it can take more than you might think.

Finish: middle length and making it into the upper chest

Comments: A great restorative dram at a good price. If your looking for an all-rounder, this is a good choice. Share this with friends, drink it in the middle of the afternoon, or jump on a dram as a night cap. It has very pleasant flavours and nice complexity and should please many. I'm told this resembles some of the older 10 year old Bruichladdich expressions that the people of Islay used to pick as their dram of choice... never tasted those older expressions of the Ten so I can't tell you but take it for what its worth.

Put shortly: Good, honest whisky.


Bruichladdich The Laddie Sixteen

Colour: nice full gold.

Nose:  This could almost be perfume! This has a true floral quality... I think Jim McEwan talked about being in a garden immediately following a shot of rain. At that time, flowers and plants are at their most fragrant and this does remind me of that. There is a bit of salt in there and with some time in the glass I want to say that I get some pineapple in there (cool!) and there is definitely some lemon. More time (and literally two drops of water) brings out some nice vanilla. This smells like sophistication.

Palate: a raft of herbacious and floral notes flow across the palate accompanied with some sweetness. There is a little menthol here for sure. Its soft and enjoyable - you could definitely serve this to your boss or father-in-law with confidence. There is some pretty solid vanilla, lemon, and honey coming thru and a surprising punchiness for a 16 Year-old. As you spend some more time with it, banana and marzipan come through as well.  Interesting waxy texture too.

Finish: medium length and leaves a tingle on the palate with spices. The spice at the finish makes me wonder if there is truth to the rumour that this was finished in virgin oak between the time the tins and labels were printed and when this was bottled. 

Comparing this to The Laddie Twenty Two isn't fair, but I will say that each reminds me of the other. The Twenty Two does bring a level of maturity that The Sixteen hasn't quite reached. I personally prefer the 22, but I have heard others say they prefer the 16. Its only a matter of taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment