Wednesday 16 October 2013

The Glenrothes 1988 Review

The Glenrothes 1988 - distilled 10/12/1988 and aged until 4/11/2008 - 43% abv.

The Glenrothes is a speyside distillery that has always interested me. I first tasted their whiskies a few years ago in my local store on a customer appreciation day. That day, I tried their Select Reserve and their Alba Reserve and was introduced to their vintage concept. Although known for their sherry-aged whisky, I actually bought the Alba Reserve first.  

I've never owned a sherry aged example of The Glenrothes until recently but had tried a few including but not limited to the 1994 and the 1972.  Now, after hearing recommendations, I decided to score a bottle of the 1988.  With fall coming up, I was recently looking for some more sherry aged whiskies and took advantage of the excuse to try the 1988.
The Glenrothes 1988 - click picture to enlarge

Colour: dark amber.

Nose: candied orange peels. I am almost reminded of Grand Marnier on the nose.  Citrus. Sweet.  WIth a little time in the glass, I am certain I am getting coca-cola... or pepsi? Maybe even a slight hint of coffee but I might be imagining that.  Really is a beautiful, aged Speyside nose. I get some dates on the nose and good body but it is soft. From the nose, I can't imagine this will need more water than the tears from my eyes. This is promising. 

Palate: this is nice! Has the most body of any 'Rothes I've tried so far.  Nice and clean sherry flavours. This is sweet for sure and has the orange peel flavours but accompanied with real, dark honey flavours. I was looking for a nice, sophisticated sherry aged dram and I think I found it.  This is basically 20 years old and I think the age comes through. I think of whiskies in layers when they lend themselves to it and this one moves in layers. The last layer on the palate brings on lovely spices that work their way towards the back of the tounge along with a drying sensation and a continuation of cola flavours. Mouthfeel is good for a Glenrothes as well.

Finish: finishes pretty long but clean as well. 

When would I drink this? I think this will make for a good night after-dinner dram or night cap. Again, something that can be served to someone important to you with confidence and I always enjoy the vintage thing. Afterall, it makes apparent the fact that this whisky will never be back again. Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment