Sunday 11 August 2013

Bruichladdich The Laddie Twenty Two

Bruichladdich 22 Year Old - The Laddie Twenty Two - 46% abv

This is the longest matured expression I have tried from Bruichladdich other than a 33 year-old Legacy bottling I tried at an exclusive scotch tasting I attended in November 2012 (thank you local scotch guy and his store for setting that up!). This particular expression is part of the classic, unpeated range of Bruichladdich products.


Click picture to enlarge
Bruichladdich The Laddie 22

Colour:  Full gold.

Nose: Its beautiful!  Sweet and very floral with herbal notes and some mint.  Vanilla comes through and maybe even some marzipan and honey.

Palate: definitely tastes like well-matured Bruichladdich. Reminds a bit of the 33 year-old Legacy Series bottling I tasted last year. This is soft and sweet on entry and moves through a layer of what could be creme brulee and then to a honied lemon note. Some salt in there and a very complex run of herbal and floral notes. There even seems to be some apple and pear notes as this spends some time in the glass. This has been breathing Islay air for 22 years and it shows! At one point, as I was most of the way through my dram, I could have sworn I tasted pineapple or something tropical. Interesting since I remember clearly smelling pineapple on the nose of that Legacy Series I tasted.

Finish: The finish is quite long for something I believe was aged in American oak. The finish is also very consistent with the nose and the palate. One key thing I have noticed in drinking very old bottlings is that they do tend to have very strong links between nose, palate, and finish and have very consistent traits. It is one of the rewards of drinking scotch that was aged a long time.

Comments: This is a very nice dram. My ideal time to drink this would be after a big meal in the spring or summer time or as the last dram of the night on a warm or mild day. It tastes like something special and should wow anyone who tries it. A lovely unpeated dram and, in my opinion, what a lot of Speysiders should strive to be. That's the long way to put it... in short, a classy drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment