Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Glenlivet 18 Year Old Review

The Glenlivet 18 Year Old - 43% abv.

Every now and then I come across a dram that I think is ok even though I am under the impression that most have a very high regard for that dram.  In these cases, I don't think that the drink isn't good or as good as something else, I just think I don't get it the same way others do.  The Glenlivet 18 Year Old is one of those.  Don't get me wrong, it tastes fine and works well (especially as a summer drink) and will generally keep almost anyone happy... its just not something I'd come to work the day after trying it and shout to all my friends about the experience I had.
Click picture to enlarge - Credit: painting in the background to my 3-year-old daughter Olivia.

Colour: Gold.

Nose: Soft on the nose with a sort of apple and brown sugar smell.  I almost detect some sort of cherry syrup or something there.

Palate: a little sweet and dry on entry with a sherry-aged flavour followed by some vanilla. I hate to say it but, although it tastes fine and is easy-drinking, it tastes manufactured.  There is a characteristic to this that makes it clear to me that this is not an artisanal whisky but more of a "manufactured" dram.  However, there is a quite nice honey'd vanilla thread that runs through this mid-palate.  It makes it enjoyable!

Remember in an earlier article I spoke of Jim McEwan's statement about, when you go into a glass of whisky you should be able to see the people who made it?  In this case, I see a big control room and machines.  Again, this doesn't make it bad, but to me, it doesn't have the life that I am after.

Finish: finish is on the shorter side, extending just below the Adam's apple.  Taste-wise, it lingers a while the some pleasing vanilla and some heat.  

Comments: This is easy-drinking and pretty soft.  For the money, this will please folks looking for decent dram with no sharp edges.  Buying this as a gift for someone or receiving it as gift, I am sure anyone (including me) would say "Thank you!  What a nice bottle of scotch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment