Tuesday 9 July 2013

Benromach 10 Year Old Review - The fun in sharing

Benromach 10 Year Old

So a month ago or so I got back from a vacation. Before I left I asked my neighbour, Shakey Byrne, to watch my house for me while I was away.  If you knew him you'd know why I asked him - beside the definition of the word "neighbour" in the dictionary there is actually his picture.  Anyway, I wanted to thank him so, of course, I went and bought him a bottle of scotch that I know is quite enjoyable and one that I like very much.

We usually help each other out with stuff.  We were both pulling weeds the other day and I finished my lawn so I decided to carry on our conversation while helping him with his.  The next day met in the backyard to share a dram - his new Benromach 10 Year Old.  

Two things here: Scotch is the best thank you or gift ever.  Sharing scotch is the best feeling you can have no matter who brought the bottle.

Anyway, cheers to my neighbour, Shakey Byrne.

A bit about the scotch: Benromach 10 year old is lightly peated (I think 3 ppm phenols), is 80% aged in bourbon and 20% in sherry casks, it is non-chill-filtered and has no colouring added. For the relatively low price at which it sells, its a great deal and an excellent quality dram.

Nose: Great on the nose with a little smoke and some sweet notes.  Maybe some chocolate and apples in there?

Palate: honey and chocolate.  I always get dark chocolate when I drink this.  There is a nice light smoke there too and maybe a little butterscotch.  There is some heat/spice that comes at the end which seems to be typical of Benromach whiskies.  I sometimes think of this as Speyside with a slight touch of Islay.

Finish: Finish is on the shorter side but was aided by the bit of peat and sherry aging.

Comment:  This is a great every-day drinker and has something for everyone - some bourbon aging, some sherry aging, a little peat, and a little heat.  Its not a total blinder that you just bounce off the walls over but it is a really solid dram and something that is great to have around.  I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment