Wednesday 3 July 2013

Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18 Year Old Frozen Review

Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18 Year Old

Yes, I am writing in Gold colour because I am reviewing Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18 Year Old.  Some may be aware that there is a new replacement for the 18 Year Old Gold Label in the form of a Gold Label Reserve.  The Reserve is a no-age-statement whisky that is intended to be the same as 18 Year old.  I haven't tried the new "Reserve" but have heard it is very similar to the 18 year old.  Anyway, if you prefer an age-statement there are still bottles left if you scrounge around for them.

Speaking of remaining bottles, lets talk about how this 18 Year Old tastes.  I am doing something a little different this time - I am doing this tasting with the whisky having been frozen.  If you read the Johnnie Walker materials, they actually recommend freezing Gold Label so I thought, being an engineer, I should follow the instructions.

Click picture to enlarge - mmmm, frozen.

Colour: pale amber

Nose: vanilla and marzipan like the guts of an almond croissant.

Palate: honey.  Sweet and has a few confections (pastries) mixed together.  Easy-to-drink with a very nice and smooth mouth feel.  No rough edges here at all.  I get manuka honey and creamy confections and more marzipan.  

Finish: short (finishes at Adam's apple) and pretty crisp.

Comments: What a great selection to enjoy on a hot summer day, especially after dinner.  This is easy-drinking and dessert-like.  Definitely would make a good conclusion to a summer meal on a hot-day and, from my experience sharing this, it is a real crowd-pleaser on such occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment