Tuesday 27 January 2015

Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2007 Review

Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2007 Rockside Farm - 50% abv.

Well it took it forever to come to Alberta - like 16 months after its actual release - but I finally got a bottle of Bruichladdich Islay Barely 2007 here in Calgary. I'm sad it took so long but it was worth the wait. This is probably the best vintage Islay Barely released so far (2004 and 2006 preceded this one).  I've reviewed the 2006 previously as well which stood out to me for its floral and creamy character.
click photo to enlarge
Before I get going, I'd like to commend Bruichladdich for helping lead the way on something here. This bottle is probably the first distillery bottling (other than Octomore releases) I've seen with an actual age statement under 10 years old. This one categorically states "6 Aged Years." Thank you for this! I will happily drink young whisky but I like to know what I am drinking rather than have it hidden from me as so many do.
click photo to enlarge
Nose: sweet floral scents are the first thing on the nose - like some flowers are just after a summer rain. You smell that sweet pollen. This is unpeated yet I get a hint of smoke or char in there and that will almost certainly be due to this being filled into first-fill bourbon casks which are charred on the inside and can release a bit of smokey, BBQ effect into the whisky's profile. Altogether pleasant nose!

Palate: Softer than previous releases. Honey. Lemon. Salt. That very light char from the nose is here too.  Fresh yet quite mellow. Coastal. Delicious. This has a nice richness to it while staying vibrant. Moves from sweet honey on the way in to a nice salty tang mid-palate to a lemon zest a the back of the palate. There is also a bit of a perfumed quality to this that reminds me a bit of the Laddie Twenty Two. That's a good thing... family resemblance.

Finish: Finishes with some warmth at the back palate and in the throat and makes to below the Adam's apple. The persistence is long as usual for Bruichladdich and if you chew a bit after swallowing, the light tinge of smokey char shows up - again, quite light.

A pleasant dram! When would I drink this? Any time, really. Works well as a mid-day drink or apperitif but I've found it has enough richness to make sense on some evenings too. Truly honest whisky! Age isn't everything, but I really wonder what this would be like at 10 or 15 years old! I also wonder if we'll ever see some Islay Barley releases with some cask exploration... sherry or wine or something?

I will be visiting Bruichladdich in a few months and cannot wait. This Islay Barley makes me wish I was there already!

No comments:

Post a Comment