Thursday 18 December 2014

Tomatin 12 Year Old French Oak Review

Tomatin 12 Year Old French Oak - 46% abv.

Tomatin's graced North America with a special edition 12 year old whisky that was aged in ex-bourbon barrels and then decanted into some French Oak casks for a finish. I jumped on a bottle of this the first day it showed up in my local store for two reasons: I trust Tomatin and French Oak aging is pretty rare.
click photo to enlarge
Colour: Gold with a touch of copper

Nose:  Soft and a sweet with bitter chocolate and orange. Some nice sugars in there too. Water opens the nose and makes the chocolate more milky. 

Palate: lovely velvety texture with a sweet arrival that moves to a more herbal and a bit drier feeling at the back of the palate. Good balance - not to sweet, not to savoury, not to bitter. i get semi-sweet chocolate. I get orange. I get orange peel. I get some mint on the tail end. There might be a bit of banana in there. Its lighter in style like a bourbon cask aged whisky but there is nice richness and other flavours there from the french oak. 

Adding water to this is a good idea - it kind of spreads it out. I get golden yellow sugar. I get chocolate. I get orange (like navel oranges). I get more mint at the back of the palate. The slight bitter note goes away as well. Very nice stuff! Easy drinking. I like it.

Finish: good medium persistence and makes it down the throat past the Adam's apple with a minty fresh feeling. 

When would I drink this? It can be had any time, really. I tend to like it in these fall/winter days where I happen to crave something a little lighter but with enough richness to suit the colder weather.

Another solid Tomatin! Not expensive either... I'd imagine this making a good gift for folks on a budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment