Sunday 19 May 2013

Whisky - The New Testament


Okay, we’ve all been there, we want to pick a great whisky but you get to the store and it doesn’t go your way.  You’d love to know more but right now all you can do is stare at the wall of tins and boxes and different shaped bottles.  You feel intimidated by the folks going thru the section and picking various things and talking about the various products.    

How can that guy know that the $80 bottle he just picked up is worth it?  How can another guy right next to him seem twice as excited about the $53 bottle he picked up?  Wow, this one has a super sexy label but does it taste good?
Marc enjoying a break with none other than Octomore. Yum! - Photo Credit: Julia Hews-Girard


I’m Marc.  I’m a simple engineer with a real passion for whisky - especially scotch.  I was once riddled with all of the questions above and, to some extent, still am.  I am on a journey and exploring the world of whisky, especially Scotch.  I got over my intimidations with the help of a few people including my lovely wife and @Davescotchguy.   I’ve taken in a bunch of classes and tastings and bought all sorts of stuff and have learned and enjoyed a ton!  These days, people at work know of my love of whisky and regularly approach me with THE question: “I want to buy a nice scotch.  What should I get?”  Somehow, I’ve become a go-to resource for people!

I’ve really worked hard to channel what I’ve learned to help these friends and have done so for total strangers at my local store too.  People seem to really take to my uncomplicated, layman’s explanation of the different offerings out there.  So here I am, a guy who hasn’t been in this for a super long time but has a massive passion.  A guy who appreciates to-the-point, layman’s descriptions.  A guy who wants to try to help more than the folks who happen to approach him with a question.  

I’d like to take this page forward by posting whisky tasting notes and stories in the only way I know how: straight forward, passionate, and in a way that anyone will want to partake in the same thing for which I have developed such a passion.  I write notes for myself and love telling stories so I thought, “hey, stop being so selfish and share!”  Hopefully I’ll be able to convince my wife to use her solid photography skills to get some nice images on the page too!

I am no snob and don’t accept that around these fine spirits as they deserve respect and friendliness. In each dram there are the flavors that were put there by the people who crafted it.  What a beautiful thing!

Anyway, enough talk!  Let’s get to some stories and tastings.




No comments:

Post a Comment