Thursday 30 May 2013

What is Grappa like anyway? Italian Scotch?

So I previously wrote about rules I kind of follow and used the excellent Laphroig Quarter Cask to introduce you to my style of review and to the importance of the golden rule.  Now, since all rules must be broken, I figured I take a shot of Grappa. Wait.  That come out wrong.  I meant "take a shot at reviewing Grappa."  

Why would I do this?  Well, I travel to Italy every now and then and have had some very lousy grappa that was basically paint-thinner grade.  However, in my explorations, I discovered nicer Grappa like this Grappa di Brunello (made from Brunello grapes which are high grade Sangiovese grapes) which reminded me a fair bit of some scotches and now I think of it as Italian Scotch.  Before I go on, Grappa is a spirit made by distilling what would otherwise be wine.   

Nannoni - Grappa di Brunello - Riserva - Oro Dei Carati

Nose: Quite like grape jam.  Very jammy actually and softer than Grappa's reputation might have you believe.  Sweet on the nose and has the hint of some tones you might pick up from some scotches.  

Palate: thinner than scotch in texture.  The grape-y flavour comes through with significant sweetness on the front end.  Some pretty clear toffey notes there too.  I don't know how they got there but they are.  This reminds me of some bourbon aged whiskies that get a port or wine finish before bottling.  Its different than that, but not as much as some might have you believe.  You get some soft fruit like dates or raisins in there too.

Finish:  the finish is shorter in flavour but seems to last in terms of warmth/heat.

Next time you have the chance to try a nicer grappa, do it.  You may be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment